Monday, December 28, 2009

Wrapping Up 25 Days of Giving

The final 4 days of


Day 22: Lunch for Daddy's Office

We picked up lunch for daddy and the girls in his office. I had been wanting to do something for the women who make our business run. B would be lost without them. They take care of him as if her were their own. I am eternally grateful for their hard work and undying loyalty. We never have to worry about what is going on in our business because of his wonderful staff. Tuesday was a VERY busy day in the office and the roads were bad due to a winter storm. I think they were happy to have their lunch delivered and I was more than happy to bring it!

Day 23: Delivery for People in Need

The kiddos and I delivered needed items to our local homeless shelter. We live in a lovely suburb. The serene surroundings and big, beautiful homes make it hard to believe that there are people in our community without a roof over their heads. I checked the shelter's website and it listed their most needed items so that is what we brought.

I was moved to tears as I walked in and the reality of the situation hit me. I am sure that the families who reside there are grateful but, spoiled as I am, I cannot imagine spending the holidays in a shelter.

The woman who greeted me and took my donation was so incredibly gracious. I could tell that she was overwhelmed by the generosity of her community. There was hardly room on her sheet to record our donation. I felt a pull to this place. I know I will be back.

Day 24: Another Jewel Gift Card

I struck again with the Jewel gift card. Yes, I was grocery shopping on Christmas eve with the rest of the world. We were checking out and I saw another $10 gift card in my bag that had yet to be given. I wandered the store and the excitement, anxiety, fear rose in me. This random giving thing is quite a rush. You never know how people are going to take it. I worry that they are thinking "What? Do I look like I can't pay for my own groceries". Which, of course, is not the message I am trying to send. I chose a woman who was older (I have learned I have quite a heart for the elderly). I walked up and said "My family and I would like to give you this $10 gift card." She looked taken aback and a little irritated. She looked at me with a scowl and said "What is this? Why are you doing this?" I told her that we were practicing 25 days of giving and today we would like to give something to her. Her face softened...no melted. She smiled at me and gave me a heart-felt thank you. I wished her a merry Christmas and she did the same but I felt that our words meant more. We connected at the heart. The words were not just a common late December salutation. It was good, real good.

Day 25: Christmas

I think everyone knows what kind of giving goes on on this day. This year was a bit different, for me at least. Most Christmas' I feel a little sad, a little empty. B and I tend to go overboard. The family room gets filled to overflowing and the kids hardly have enough interest to get through all of the unwrapping. This year we were able to impart gratitude for what we have. They had a better understanding of how blessed we are so spoiling them a little on Christmas day felt much better. It is OK to receive but it is imperative to receive gratefully. It is really best to give. For by giving we receive far more than can be wrapped up under the tree.

5 comments:

Twice as Nice said...

Twin and I took a name off the tree at Walmart and we bought for a 4 year old girl. We got her clothes, shoes, underwear, socks and even candy. We had a blast and plan on doing it every year. I'm going to have my son take a name next year and put some of his own money towards a name. What a blessing it is to be able to GIVE. I love it.

tiarastantrums said...

Hope you had a wonderful holiday with your family!!

Casey's trio said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed your holiday and that you spread so much joy through your random acts of kindness. Hugs to you!

Laura said...

I just spent the last little bit catching up on you. It brought tears to my eyes what you did for others and what you were teaching your kids! Your amazing. I am really inspired by all this. I plan to do something like it someday! The other day I thought of you as I was thinking about paying for the person behind me at line at McDonalds. I am ashamed to say it made very nervous and I chickend out. I kept wondering what they would think. Would they want to stop and talk to me... I feel bad I let my shyness stop me. Next time I won't!

girlytwins said...

It was truly amazing what you accomplished in your 25 days of giving. I can tell that you really understand the extent of your generosity and how awesome it was to share this experience with your kids. You really are amazing. I talked to my mom about you and we decided we are going to do something next year. Thank you for your inspiration.