skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Day 14: A Very Simple Day
But, as every other day in this commitment, another opportunity to learn. I had a great conversation with a very dear friend of mine. She is an inspiration and she gave me some food for thought. She is a pilates and yoga instructor and informed me that this experience of daily giving is a big element of yoga (I knew yoga was for me). She said that the expression of giving can be as simple as giving a smile or a kind word to another. I have been insisting on making my acts grander and usually monetary. I enjoy those things but I wanted to try this simple giving as well.
Sammy and I had just 15 minutes to run through the grocery for dinner. An adorable, very pregnant girl kept popping up while we shopped frantically. She ended up behind us in line at the checkout. I felt inclined to talk with her. She was scheduled to deliver her second daughter in two days. This baby was breech and would come via C-section, something this mother had never experienced. I told her that my girls came c-section too and that it was just fine. As we chatted, I noticed that she was buying her baby formula with food stamps. If I had been more mentally prepared to give, I would have had the presence of mind to grab a quick gift card for her. But since we were in such a hurry, all I had to offer was kind word and hopefully a little support.
I wished that I had been able to do more but I rested in the belief that I am a work in progress. The next time I am in that situation, I will be better prepared to work quickly. In the end, I believe that kindness goes a long way, even if no monetary item accompanies.
4 comments:
What a great point that your friend made...giving does not have to always be monetary and I bet your words really helped the woman you spoke with in the store. Love that you have taken on this project and are putting your all into it! You are inspiring:)
Sometimes a kind word at the right time is worth more than gold.
You are so inspiring with this project. It's really humbling.
I am sure that your words meant a lot to a scared mom. I know I was so worried about having a C-section and someone offering some comforting words would have made my day. Giving truly comes in all forms.
It really is amazing what you are accomplishing with your project.
YOur friend did make an excellent point. I firmly believe that some of the best giving is that of yourself. Emotional support, talents, etc.
I think you are amazing and give 365 days a year whether you realize it or not.
The end. :)
Post a Comment