Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Art Smocks

Here was our problem.



More paint on the child than on the paper. But we love to paint.


Here is the solution. Art smocks made of wipe-able oil cloth. Good for painting, cooking, water table play or any other messy endeavor.


Pockets to hold all of those necessary supplies...or whatever else strikes your fancy.




The clothes are looking good. Mission accomplished!

I used a shirt pattern that I had for the basic shape. The oil cloth is a bit scratchy at the edges so I bound it with bias tape. It goes over the head and ties with ribbon at the sides.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

fantastic! well done Mama..

Crazymamaof6 said...

those are darling! way to go! I LOVE LOVE oil cloth! have you seen warm biscuit.

tiarastantrums said...

clever!
My sewing skills are not quite great though!!

Courtney and the Boys said...

Shannon,

I just had to leave a comment for you...I am a friend of Jaysi's from high school and I have been checking in on your blogs from time to time. Your family is so sweet and you are so incredibly talented! I aspire to be crafty, but my talent lies more in scrapbooking. My mom tried to teach me to knit before she passed away, and now I have inherited her sewing machine. I loved home-ec (in 7th grade..ha!), and I am now obsessed with Etsy. I love handmade things! I even bought a "pillowcase dress kit" on there thinking that one day I will dig out that sewing machine and try to figure it all out. You inspire me, Shannon, and I just wanted you to know that. :)

Courtney Nichols

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Found you while visiting twice as nice for the first time. Those art smocks are TOO cute and so practical. Love that pink pyrex. I would have snatched those up too. Look forward to visiting again. Jackie

missliz said...

Looks like you all have had a wonderful summer! You're a busy momma. Mine are back to school this week. I do love schedules! More time for crafting so I will have to get my blog updated. until then, I am catching up on all the bloglines. You're ideas are quite inspiring! Enjoy.

Lindsay said...

Those are the cutest little art smocks EVER. Way to go!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

oh my...i love these!!! i just ordered a bib or two for a gift for a friend in one of those fabrics! you did a great job. are you on etsy??