This is supposed to be a selfless and giving act but some small part of me wants to pack it all back up and put it in the closet. Then I remember that there are mothers and babies that need it. I don't need it anymore and shutting it in the closet to gather dust doesn't do me or anyone else any good. My hope is that these things will carry our loving memories with them and create more for others. I heading back in with a little more focus and a little less selfishness.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Why is this So Hard?
Below is a picture of baby stuff. This is what we have accumulated over the last 12 years of parenting. You couldn't tell by this picture but I am a huge fan of purging. For some reason I have had such a hard time parting with these things.
It's is time to pass these intensely loved items on to another mama. I have given this a lot of thought and I have decided to donate it to a local crisis pregnancy center. Having had a crisis pregnancy myself, it seems like the perfect place.
I am ever grateful for all of the support and encouragement I was given when I became pregnant at 18. I would not be who and where I am without it. I want to give at least a little back.
I have to tell you though, this process is terribly bittersweet. Tears keep creeping in when I see the outfit I brought my Sammy baby home in and the quilts that covered my premature girls' isolettes. Parting with this means coming to accept that we will not have anymore babies. Parting with this means my babies are, in fact, not babies anymore. Most of me is OK with that but the baby nurturer in me wants to cry.

This is supposed to be a selfless and giving act but some small part of me wants to pack it all back up and put it in the closet. Then I remember that there are mothers and babies that need it. I don't need it anymore and shutting it in the closet to gather dust doesn't do me or anyone else any good. My hope is that these things will carry our loving memories with them and create more for others. I heading back in with a little more focus and a little less selfishness.
This is supposed to be a selfless and giving act but some small part of me wants to pack it all back up and put it in the closet. Then I remember that there are mothers and babies that need it. I don't need it anymore and shutting it in the closet to gather dust doesn't do me or anyone else any good. My hope is that these things will carry our loving memories with them and create more for others. I heading back in with a little more focus and a little less selfishness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I always feel the same way when I clean out baby stuff. I mean we still may have another, so I don't feel exactly the same way...but I miss my kids as babies. They were so sweet and perfect. Why can't they stay that way a little longer?
oh girl - that is what my crawlspace looks like - we have been trying to have a baby for the past year and i have been "saving" everything . . . but I think it is time to do what you are doing . . . I dont' know if I can!
keep a couple of the extra special items for the kids. the take home outfit and the quilts. give the other stuff away. sounds like a great idea. but why can't you keep a hope chest of the couple special things? give them to the kids someday. i keep blessing outfits, and take home outfits. and a special blanket for each one. my mom did , and i Love the stuff i have that was JUST MINE.
just a thought, i think it's hard too. most of it i've passed on. but certain things i super love i'm keeping.
Good point, Crazy Mama. I was really trying to get myself to part with all of it but I think keep the weepy things may be a good idea. When my oldest was born, his grandma gave me things that his dad had worn. They were my favorite outfits! I think I will keep a few things:) THanks!
Just this week I cleaned out all the baby stuff for our garage sale next week. I kept the girls' preemie outfits, the blankets from the NICU, and a few other outfits that are special to me, but everything else is gone. It feels good to get rid of it! I'm keeping the special things because when my kids are teenagers I'm going to take out the clothes and show them how little they were and how I loved how they looked in a particular outfit. Like, Luke was SO adorable in his brown striped short outfit. Its a 0-3 month size and I remember his chunky little legs poking out the bottom. So cute. Keep a few things that are most memorable and get rid of the rest. You won't regret it! I totally understand the bittersweet feeling, though!
I've given away all of my baby paraphenelia (sp?) except the crib. Jeff won't let me part with the crib. I also can't part with some of their clothes.
What a wonderful you are doing in donating these items to moms that are in need of them.
I hear you! :)
I've kept a few things because I am super sentimental about them, but most gets passed along to my sister. It's nice that way because I see her kids in the clothes I've given her and it makes me happy.
But I totally get where you're coming from. It's the end of an era...the end of something that was really really big. And big kid clothes just aren't as sweet. :)
I felt the same way. I saved all of my kids coming home outfits, that helped a little. I want a few sentimental items to pass down.
I think donating them to a good cause is a great idea!
Oh and your pants are adorable!
I am right there with you. We went thru a ton of stuff this past weekend. I am so not ready to part with it yet so I didn't. I guess I till keep thinking maybe we will have another one. But the hubby is really wanting his garage and shed emptied out :)
I can't even go there in my head right now, either....but what a great thing to know everything is going to a great cause....one that's near and dear to you.
I am still in the baby phase of life and I can tell you that inheriting items from others is WONDERFUL. You go girl!
Post a Comment