A long time ago my wise and all knowing mother told me that I cannot make him understand, all I can do it continue to say it and trust that one day he will get it. I have seen that process happen. As he grows and matures, I see our hard work paying off one little insight at a time. Today we struggle. It is 9:30 Sunday morning and I am sitting in the concession area of the ice rink typing this. We will stay here for an hour and then hop in the car and go directly to the baseball field where his dad, who is the coach of his team, will be waiting to coach him on to victory. Our lives revolve around this child at the moment and that is ok. We chose to do this with him and for him but it has come at a high cost. Date nights are at the rink, all of our extra money has been pumped into his athletics. His siblings' had to forgo their extracurriculars because there is no time or money for it. I don't want him to feel bad about it because we don't, I just want him to appreciate it. I guess we'll just have to keep reminding him because I don't want to have to take it all away. But rest assured, if that is what I have to do, I will. Parenthood.... whose idea was this anyway?
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Gratitude
It's one of the most important components to a fulfilling, successful life if you ask me. If you can't see and be grateful for what you have and receive then you will never find true contentment. I am desperately trying to teach this to my oldest child. Some come into this world with a natural sense of gratitude and some come with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. My child was born with the latter. I know that this is a problem with American youth in general but I have to toot my own horn and say that we have not overindulged with no expectations. There are very high expectations in our household. Reminders of his blessings come daily from his parents. Why can't he internalize this gratitude concept?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm finding this is problem in our family, too. Hope he realizes how lucky he is! :)
Add me to the list as well. I suspect that this is something most parents face, at least those who are trying hard to raise responsible human beings who don't go through life expecting the world to be handed to them on a silver platter.
PS It's great to see you blogging again. If we didn't find what you have to say worth reading we wouldn't be here you know ((hug)). Don't let the shmucks get you down.
Parenting is definitely a tough job. We find the battles get bigger every day. Yes it is rewarding beyond words but a lot of work. I know it will pay off.
Ahhhh...Jack he is lucky we all love him so! :) No worries, he'll catch on eventually.
Post a Comment