Thursday, May 7, 2009

Crafty Blogger Etiquette Question

If you "borrow" someones design or idea, is it ok to blog about your version? I ask because I stumbled upon the blog of a lovely lady who makes adorable skirts. I had seen the concept before but I really liked her design and it looked simple enough for my beginner skills so I borrowed it. The main reason I ask about etiquette is because she sells her sweet skirts. Now I have no intention of benefiting financially from her design. I just wanted to make one similar for my girls.

Of course, it goes without saying, I would give bloggy props to the designer. I am not in the business of taking credit for others ideas. I am just wondering if its ok to show my creation publicly or if I should just enjoy it privately.

What do you think?

7 comments:

Kate said...

I have thought about this a few times as well. I think that it is ok to show what you made...she will be getting credit for the design, and you won't be selling them.

Crazymamaof6 said...

yup i think you could totally show it off. it's like free advertising for her, you show it off, and send people to her if they want one. as long as you give credit, yeah GO FOR IT!

she probably got the idea from some one else.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Lots of people base their designs on other people's designs, so I would have no problem posting a photo and saying I made something and it was based on so-an-so's design. I'm often amazed at how similar patterns are (for instance) and yet they are all drafted by different people.

Claremont First Ward said...

My comment would have been almost exactly what Arizona wrote!

Marcy B. said...

Ditto! We'd all love to see it and I think the designer would be happy to see what you created based on her inspiration.

Meagan said...

I think yes-as long as you give credit and a source for others to locate the designer should they want to. Make the skirt, show all of us and give credit to the designer. She would probably be honored that she inspired you-now I want to make one!

kristena marie said...

I agree with everyone else. Especially that "she probably got the idea from someone else." I rarely see anything that's completely original. We're all borrowing and remixing in our craftiness. If not from each other, then from our grandmas. So just give credit where credit is due! :)